Berkeley Law is committed to fostering a supportive academic environment that allows students to achieve their full potential. The Academic Support Program (ASP) is an innovative program at Berkeley Law that provides instruction, tutoring, and counseling on learning in a law school environment. Effective study methods are crucial to law school success, and the goal of the program is to ensure that students gain the necessary skills to succeed as law students and lawyers. To that end, the Academic Support Program provides academic advising, skills training, and support for first year law students during perhaps their most rigorous year of studies.The Academic Coordinator will assist and collaborate with the Director of Academic Support at Berkeley Law. The Academic Coordinator will train tutors within the Academic Support Program, help standardize the curriculum, offer one-on-one tutoring sessions, and coordinate study sessions and educational workshops for students, thereby expanding our capacity to help students while providing increased attention to those most in need of academic support. The Academic Coordinator will build a local network of lawyers, judges, law professors, and legal professionals committed to mentoring law students as part of a new mentorship program.This is a one-year renewable contract position at 75% time, with the possibility for full-time employment.
The Academic Coordinator is charged with providing student assistance and training, the development and maintenance of a standardized curriculum for the Academic Support Program, the administration of ASP, and the implementation of a new mentorship program run by ASP. Key responsibilities include:
• Administer the Academic Support Program’s student outreach, including exam preparation workshops, study sessions, one-on-one tutoring, and other special events at the law school;
• Teach study techniques to various audiences;
• Design and implement a standardized curriculum specifically designed for tutors of law students, both within and outside of the law school;
• Launch a new mentorship program and create a local network of lawyers, judges, law professors, and legal professionals committed to mentoring law students;
• Train law student employees and tutors;
• Serve as a liaison to the ASP advisors in designing and administering the curriculum;
• Help organize an annual orientation session for incoming or returning law students;
• Attend conferences and/or professional workshops to stay informed of current trends in the field of legal education.
• J.D. degree or equivalent
• Advanced program development, administrative, and analytical/problem-solving skills
• Ability to relate to diverse audiences – students, faculty, academic administrators, practicing lawyers – within the legal profession
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Familiarity with the operations of a law school (preferably Berkeley Law) and legal organizations
• Previous teaching experience and/or equivalent facilitation experience
• Available to start around August 2013
The University offers excellent health and retirement benefits which can be viewed online at http://atyourservice.ucop.edu/.
Berkeley, CA 97420-7200