Wholesome Wave may be small in size (currently 24 permanent staff members) but it’s not short on dream or vision. Balancing a need to be innovative, flexible and adaptable in the exciting fast changing food space, while retaining a clear vision, strategy and plan for sustainable change, Wavers (as staff are affectionately known) translate hard work into large scale impact.
At Wholesome Wave you’ll frequently hear the words “growth” and “opportunity” and you know they represent a real chance to direct America back to an equitable and sustainable food system for all. If you are serious about affecting real change in the food justice space, about being part of a unique organization that combines a grassroots approach with wide spread impact, then Wholesome Wave is for you.
Wholesome Wave offers a number of benefits to its staff including flexible work arrangements, skill sharing lunches and opportunities for professional development. Staff also enjoy and are encouraged to participate in a diverse range of discussions and ideas ranging from assessing innovative opportunities, to weighing in on the organizations strategic direction, and you will often find us enjoying delicious food at staff potlucks.
Come to Wholesome Wave ready to share your knowledge, strengths and passions (and your favorite recipe!), to contribute to a dedicated and incredibly supportive staff, and to start pushing the limits of innovation to make a real difference.
Reporting to, and working closely with, Wholesome Wave’s Communications & Public Outreach Manager this full-time position presents an exciting opportunity to collaborate with, and provide key support to a creative, talented and newly merged Communications and Development department.
Working in the areas of communications, public relations, marketing, and development the Associate will be supporting this innovative, entrepreneurial nonprofit organization at a pinnacle point of growth and at a time when it has been at the forefront of many nationally renowned media outlets.
The Associate will contribute creatively and take ownership of a wide range of tasks, have significant impact on the growth of the organization, and collaborate on new and exciting projects across the spectrum of communications, public outreach, marketing and development.
As a member of this team and a new ‘Waver’, the Associate will be presented with opportunities to learn from seasoned communications, marketing and fundraising professionals, participate in professional development opportunities, and learn about the essential backbone of a nonprofit.
Print & Web Design and Maintenance
• Collaborate on the design, creation and maintenance of funder collateral materials, including but not limited to powerpoint decks, factsheets, brochures, and kits
• Update and maintain organization’s website
Social Media & Public Outreach
• Conduct outreach through social media, including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
• Develop new and creative ways to use social media platforms
• Collaborate and/or take ownership of the development of public outreach campaigns around events such as Food Day
• Provide support for event planning and marketing campaigns
• Monitor organization’s presence on external charity rating websites and submit appropriate updates/changes when necessary
Writing, Editing and Research
• Contribute original content for blog posts and develop a system for the collection of blogging material from program staff to advance advocacy efforts and position Wholesome Wave as a resource hub
• Edit articles for major publications
• Monitor, organize and run reports of organization’s media coverage
• Document community impact through collection of testimonials and stories from program participants and organization stakeholders
• Conduct prospect research on potential corporate partners
• Take on various marketing related research projects to improve upon communications/development strategy
• Provide key and crucial administrative support to the Communications Manager and the department, including but not limited to scheduling, filing, and database management
• Other tasks as requested by senior management
• Display a willingness to roll up one’s sleeves and pitch in as needed
Education & Experience
• Education and experience in a combination of the following areas: Communications, journalism, marketing, social media, public health.
• Strong experience with: Microsoft Office, Google Apps, Adobe Suites, WordPress, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram
• Basic knowledge of food, agricultural and/or public health related policy
Skills & Attributes
• Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills
• Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communications skills
• Detail oriented and strong personal organizational skills
• Creative self-starter
• Ability to manage time, balance multiple tasks, meet deadlines and work independently
• Interest in non-profit communications, marketing and development
• Desire to support Wholesome Wave’s mission
Compensation, Time and Classification
• Position reports to the Communications & Public Outreach Manager
• Full time, 40 hours per week
• Based out of Bridgeport, CT office; occasional offsite night/weekend work for events/conferences
• Salaried with competitive benefits, including health insurance and dental; Salary is based on qualifications and experience
Please send resume and cover letter by April 16, 2014 to:
email@example.com or 855 Main St., Suite 910, Bridgeport, CT 06604
WHOLESOME WAVE is firmly committed to equal employment and advancement opportunities for all present employees as well as for applicants without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, age, lawful source of income, mental retardation, mental disability or physical disability, including, but not limited to, blindness or deafness, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other category protected by federal, state or local law.
For more information, please visit www.wholesomewave.org
Bridgeport, CT 06604