Director of Adult Education – Chattahoochee Valley Community College
Minimum Qualifications: Interviews can only be extended to applicants who meet the minimum qualifications. Following are the minimum required qualifications for this position:
• Master’s degree in education, business, or a related field from a regionally accredited college or university
• A minimum of two (2) years of experience in a business and/or industry setting
• Documented supervisory experience
• Experience in basic skills instruction
• Classroom teaching experience
• General knowledge of grants
• Ability to understand complex reporting requirements and federal funding requirements, policies, and procedures
• Ability to solve problems
• Strong work ethic and ability to work independently
• High degree of workplace professionalism
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; proficiency in the English language.
• Competent use of the Microsoft Office suite
Preferred Qualifications: Following are preferred qualifications for this position:
• A minimum of two (2) years of administrative experience in instructional program planning, implementation, and evaluation
• Classroom teaching experience at the two-year college level
• Experience writing and managing grants and grant budgets
• Experience with WorkKeys
• Should be comfortable using a web browser (Internet Explorer)
Duties & Responsibilities: The duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Maintain regular and predictable attendance.
2. Provide instructional leadership to the Adult Education program.
3. Provide leadership and supervision to the Ready to Work (RTW) and WorkKeys programs.
4. Provide classroom instruction as needed, serving as substitute teacher in the instructors’ absence.
5. Provide training and mentoring to all Adult Education, RTW and WorkKeys faculty and staff.
6. Provide in-service training and development on no less than a quarterly basis, providing best practices.
7. Supervise and direct the activities of instructional and support staff.
8. Recruit well-qualified instructors.
9. Conduct quarterly class site visits to ensure quality instruction.
10. Actively recruit students to become CVCC students, assisting with admissions processes.
11. Counsel and orient new students to the programs.
12. Actively intervene in student progress and retention.
13. Ensure all students have established education and/or employment goals.
14. Follow up with students regarding job placement and workplace success for reporting purposes (student outcome tracking).
15. Expand services through community outreach and relationship building in the Adult Education and College service area.
16. Conduct needs analyses in communities served and establish offsite locations and services as indicated.
17. Develop annual program grant proposals to be submitted to the State Department of Education and Governor’s Office of Workforce Development.
18. Ensure compliance with all grant requirements.
19. Ensure that policies and procedures are in compliance with College, state and federal regulations.
20. Evaluate program outcomes as required by funding agent and develop a plan for necessary improvements.
21. Establish and manage the Adult Education, RTW and WorkKeys budgets.
22. Ensure an efficient system of fiscal control in collaboration with the Business Office.
23. Manage fiscal aspects of department.
24. Coordinate with other College administrators.
25. Serve on committees as assigned.
26. Perform other duties as assigned.
Salary: Appropriate placement according to Salary Schedule C3 Rank II with a salary for twelve months from $45,500. Generally, credit will be given for experience within the public schools, colleges, and adult education programs of Alabama, and placement on the salary schedule shall be in accordance with length of service in Alabama public education and directly related full-time experience.
Anticipated Begin Date: As negotiated
Application Procedure: To be considered for an interview, the applicant must submit all of the following:
Letter of Application (Cover Letter)
One-page personal Statement of Philosophy regarding the mission of the community college and specifically the GED credential
A completed CVCC Employment Application form (Rev. 5/12/2008)
Copies of transcripts (unofficial or official) from all colleges from which degrees have been granted. Degree(s) must be posted on transcripts.
Unofficial transcripts are acceptable for application; however, official transcripts must be received by the College prior to extension of an employment agreement to the successful candidate.
APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED VIA FACSIMILE OR E-MAIL WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. Please do not staple any documents in your packet. If you are applying for more than one position, submit a complete set of information for each position. Once submitted, all applications become the property of CVCC. Requests for copies of application materials, including transcripts, will be denied by the College.
Verification of Employment letters will be required after an offer of employment has been made. Verification letters should, at a minimum, include the work experience indicated on page two of your application. This information is required within fifteen (15) working days of acceptance of an employment offer.
To secure an employment application go to www.cv.edu. Forward complete application packet to the Department of Human Resources, Chattahoochee Valley Community College, 2602 College Drive, Phenix City, Alabama 36869. Incomplete application packets will eliminate the possibility of an interview. It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to ensure his or her application packet is complete.
Application Deadline: Application materials must be received in the Human Resources Office no later than 5:00 p.m. EDT, Wednesday, June 25, 2014, to ensure full consideration.
Please note that CVCC will be closed on Fridays during the summer semester.
Interview Process: The Recruitment and Selection Committee will screen all applicants for the position and may interview selected, fully qualified applicants by telephone. The Committee will then select applicants for in-person interviews which may consist of the following activities: question/answer session, oral presentation, written assignment, and/or skills assessments. Upon completion of the in-person interviews, the Committee will recommend finalists for the position to the President, after which final employment decisions will be made.
Additional Information: The College reserves the right to fill the position within one year of the stated anticipated starting date or not to fill the position due to budgetary or operational considerations. Further, the College reserves the right to fill more than one position should circumstances warrant the need to fill more than one position.
The College will not incur the cost of applicants’ interview expenses. Applicants desiring reasonable accommodations for the interview are encouraged to request such accommodations when contacted for an interview appointment. All male applicants between the ages of 18-26 must provide proof of Selective Service Registration.
Applicants hired by Chattahoochee Valley Community College on or after January 1, 2012, will be subject to the E-Verify process pursuant to Act No. 2011-535.
An offer of employment is contingent upon a satisfactory criminal background investigation. In the event a conviction for a felony or any crime involving moral turpitude is found, the procedures set out in the guidelines for State Board Policy 623.01 will be followed. In addition, the applicant will be responsible for the nonrefundable $13* cost of the criminal background investigation. *Additional charges may apply. DO NOT SEND PAYMENT WITH YOUR APPLICATION. THIS FEE WILL BE REQUIRED UPON HIRE.
It is the official policy of the Alabama Department of Postsecondary Education, including postsecondary institutions under the control of the State Board of Education, that no person in Alabama shall, on the grounds of race, color, disability, sex, religion, creed, national origin, or age, be excluded from participation in or be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program, activity or employment opportunity. CVCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
CVCC is a top-tier community college, and the region we serve offers a quality of life that’s second to none! Housing is plentiful and affordable, with options that range from apartment communities to family-friendly neighborhoods. Excellent medical care is easily accessible, along with an outstanding system of public and private schools. Shopping, dining, culture and entertainment complete the picture of a progressive area with lots of hometown charm.
The Phenix City–Columbus region serves as a gateway to numerous attractions throughout East Alabama and West Georgia, including Lake Eufaula, Callaway Gardens and historic Warm Springs. And you’re only a short drive from Florida’s Gulf Coast, Birmingham, Alabama or Atlanta, Georgia.
CVCC embodies the concept of a “community college” in every respect. We’re an integral part of the region we serve, contributing to activities and initiatives that make things better for everyone who lives here.
Phenix City, AL 36869
2602 College Drive
Phenix City, AL 36869