Manager of Financial Reporting [ADMU-28]
AMERICAN CIVIL LIBERTIES UNION
Administration & Finance Department, NY
The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), founded in 1920, is a nationwide, nonprofit, nonpartisan organization, with more than 500,000 members and is dedicated to the principles of liberty and equality embodied in the U.S. Constitution. The Administration and Finance Department of the ACLU’s National office in New York City seeks applications for a full-time position of Manager of Financial Reporting.
Reporting to the Controller/Director of Accounting and working in collaboration with other members of the ADMF leadership team, including the Director of Banking and Investments, the Manager of Financial Reporting is responsible for the coordination, production and dissemination of financial reports to internal stakeholders and to third parties. The Manager of Financial Reporting will assist with the preparation of interim and audited financial statements, tax reports and other documents, and will be responsible for organizing and maintaining both paper and electronic files. The Manager of Financial Reporting serves as the point person for the coordination of responses to third party requests, including requests from regulatory bodies, ACLU and ACLU Foundation affiliates, funders and others.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist with preparation, analysis and refinement of schedules and backup documents to support the production of the Annual Financial Statements of the ACLU and ACLU Foundation, including the Statement of Activities, Statement of Financial Position, Statement of Functional Expenses and the related consolidating schedules for the ACLU and ACLU Foundation.
- Establish and maintain a system to track the development and submission of schedules requested by the ACLU’s auditors.
- Analyze and, where appropriate, update preliminary drafts of monthly budget variance reports used to track budgeted vs. actual revenue and expense by project/unit, by department and for the organization as a whole.
- Prepare and distribute budget variance reports to project directors and department directors, and working with the Associate Budget Director and Accounting Manager to address follow up queries and conduct additional analyses, as appropriate, to address trends in key revenue and expense items over time.
- Prepare spreadsheets and standard reports to facilitate documentation and tracking over time of key financial indicators for each ACLU and ACLU Foundation affiliate, including information from the Statement of Activities, Statement of Financial Position, Statement of Functional Expenses and notes to the financial statements.
- Calculate financial ratios to analyze ACLU, ACLU Foundation and affiliates’ financial statements.
- Maintain lists of all ACLU and ACLU Foundation bank accounts, including the account description or name, account number, the bank address, the authorized signatories, limits on the use of funds, if any, procedures for processing wire transfers, if applicable, and the name, phone number and email address of the key contact person at the financial institution where the account is based.
- Conduct and document completion of an annual review of the list of ACLU and ACLU Foundation accounts to ensure the ongoing accuracy of information critical to the organizations’ oversight of its operating and other bank accounts.
- Assist with preparation of annual 990 reports for the ACLU and ACLU Foundation.
- Prepare summary reports, based on information from the shared fundraising database, on trends in ACLU and ACLU Foundation affiliate income, by category, for use in estimating year-end revenue.
- Work in collaboration with key staff in the Legal Department and others as appropriate, to establish systems to track the value, for financial reporting purposes, of donated legal services.
- Coordinate the preparation of financial reports for distribution to the ACLU Executive Committee, ACLU Foundation Board and ACLU National Board.
- Prepare for, attend and assist with follow up from meetings of certain ACLU committees, including the Audit Committee, Finance Committee, Financial Structures Monitoring Committee and Investment Committee.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Bachelor’s degree with a concentration in accounting, business, economics, mathematics, statistics or a related field. Advanced degree in a related field preferred.
- 5 years related experience with financial management and reporting, ideally in a not-for-profit organization; familiarity with not-for-profit financial reporting rules, including those that pertain to the preparation of the 990.
- Superior analytical abilities; Ability to synthesize large amounts of information.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
- Familiarity with the Sage accounting system is a plus.
- Team player with proven track record of success in working with individuals with diverse sets of skills and experiences;
- Ability to understand and assist with setting priorities;
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail with ability to multi-task.
- Ability to represent the organization and interface all levels of staff at the national office and affiliates, while maintaining tact, diplomacy, and confidentiality.
- Demonstrated commitment to the ACLU mission and ACLU’s principles.
The ACLU offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within parameters of the ACLU compensation scale.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter (with minimum salary requirements) and resume, by email firstname.lastname@example.org – reference [ADMU-28/ACLU-W] in the subject line
Applications can also be sent by mail to:
RE: [ADMU- 28/ACLU-W]
American Civil Liberties Union Foundation
125 Broad Street, 18th Floor
New York, NY 10004
Please indicate in your cover letter where you learned of this career opportunity.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU reserves the right to change the job description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.
We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact:HRJobsINCLReq@aclu.org. Correspondence sent to this address that is not related to requests for accommodations will not be reviewed. Applicants should follow the instructions above regarding how to apply.
The ACLU comprises two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation. Both the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation are national organizations with the same overall mission, and share office space and employees. The ACLU has two separate corporate entities in order to do a broad range of work to protect civil liberties. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “ACLU
Manager of Financial Reporting-ACLU Administration & Finance Department, NY