BEIJING (AP) _ Chinese police detained a laborer who approached China’s second-richest man to ask for a job and then attacked and injured the company chairman when he denied the request, state media reported Wednesday.
Zong Qinghou, chairman of food and beverage giant Hangzhou Wahaha Group, is recovering from injuries to his left hand after Friday’s attack in the eastern city of Hangzhou, the official Xinhua News Agency said.
Citing Hangzhou police, Xinhua identified the suspect as a 49-year-old migrant worker surnamed Yang from the neighboring province of Jiangsu. It said Yang borrowed 30,000 yuan ($5,000) earlier this year and traveled to Hangzhou in search of work.
Yang sought out Zong near his home after watching a television program about the businessman’s assistance to migrant workers and asked the man for a job with his company, Xinhua said.
It said Yang attacked Zong after his job request was turned down.
Calls to police in Hangzhou, and to local officials, seeking comment went unanswered.
Zong had been China’s richest man, but fell to the second place this year with total wealth of nearly $19 billion. He founded Wahaha and built it into China’s largest beverage manufacturer.