Dear Freedom Fighters,
Celebrate the 50th Anniversary of this important effort in Jackson, Mississippi with your fellow volunteers, staff, and local activists.
Dialogue with the next generation of change agents as youth from around the country join us.
The Mississippi Freedom Summer 50th Anniversary Conference will take place June 25-29, 2014, in Jackson, Mississippi, on the campus of Tougaloo College. Pre-registration check-in will start at 7:30 a.m. on Tuesday, June 24, in addition to an Old School/New School Get Acquainted Reception at 7:00 p.m.
Meal tickets are now available for purchase for the daily lunches. The daily menus are listed and the price is $12 for Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. The price for Saturday is $8.50.
1-To purchase meals, please follow this link, (click here: “Purchase Meals”) which will take you to the registration page.
2-Next, click “Participate As An Individual.” Scroll down to the middle of the page and you can purchase your daily lunches.
MEAL TICKET: WEDNESDAY, June 25, Grilled Chicken Breast, Rice Pilaf, Sautéed Green Beans, Garden Salad, Dessert, Iced Tea
MEAL TICKET: WEDNESDAY, June 25, VEGETARIAN, Rice Pilaf, Sautéed Green Beans, Garden Salad, Dessert, Iced Tea
MEAL TICKET: THURSDAY, June 26, Pulled Barbecued Chicken Sandwich, Southern Baked Beans, Homemade Cole Slaw, Steamed Carrots, Dessert, Iced Tea
MEAL TICKET: THURSDAY, June 26, Slow-Cooked Pork Barbecue Sandwich, Southern Baked Beans, Homemade Cole Slaw, Steamed Carrots, Dessert, Iced Tea
MEAL TICKET: THURSDAY, June 26, VEGETARIAN VEGETABLE WRAP, Southern Baked Beans, Homemade Cole Slaw, Steamed Carrots, Dessert, Iced Tea
MEAL TICKET: FRIDAY, June 27, Baked Chicken Quarters, Green Peas, Garden Salad, Wild Rice, Dessert, Iced Tea
MEAL TICKET: FRIDAY, June 27, VEGETARIAN GARDEN BURGER, Green Peas, Garden Salad, Wild Rice, Dessert, Iced Tea
MEAL TICKET: SATURDAY, June 29, BOXED LUNCH, Sandwich, Whole Fruit, Dessert, Beverage
MEAL TICKET: SATURDAY, June 29, BOXED LUNCH, VEGETARIAN GRILLED WRAP, Whole Fruit, Dessert, Beverage
See you soon in Jackson.
Freedom Summer 50th is a five-day convening to learn from the past, evaluate our present, and strategize for the future. FREEDOM SUMMER 1964 – 2014.
The International Conference and Youth Congress will be held June 25th – 29th, 2014 in Jackson, Mississippi (with the Youth Congress beginning on June 23rd, 2014) on the campus of Tougaloo College. Work sessions will examine each issue area and explore its context in the present-day struggle for justice not only in Mississippi, but globally. Intergenerational work sessions and conference features include:
· Its Historical Importance – Civil Rights Veterans and historians will discuss the importance of Freedom Summer 1964 in Mississippi and American history.
· An analysis of the political and economic status of Blacks in Mississippi and America after 50 years of struggle, focusing on Voter Rights, Education, Health, Workers’ Rights, and the Youth.
· Development of legal and political arguments, strategies, and tactics to make voting a constitutional right for all Americans.
· Political organizing to take the South from being “red” to “purple” – i.e., conservative and Republican to the election of moderates and progressives at the State level.
· The campaign to place an initiative to fully fund public education on the 2015 Mississippi election ballot.
· Increasing the opportunities for all Americans to get affordable healthcare across the United States.
· How to engage local communities in the fight to improve wages and working conditions.
· From June 23 – 29, participants will be trained on community and youth organizing, and building successful progressive political campaigns and platforms. The focus will be in the areas of Education, Criminal (in)Justice, Voting Rights, and Workers’ Rights.
If you are interested in attending the Conference, please visit the website for information regarding registration and accommodations.
Visit Our Website And Learn More About Mississippi Freedom Summer 50th. (Click here: Mississippi Freedom Summer 50th Anniversary Conference).
Click REGISTRATION to register for the Conference.
If you are interest in sponsorships or donations, visit the website and Click SPONSORSHIP or DONATIONS.
Click YOUTH CONGRESS to register for the Youth Congress beginning June 23rd, 2014. If you would like to lead a Youth Congress strategy session, click STRATEGY LEADERS. (Please note: Youth Congress requires separate registration)
Please reserve your hotel as soon as possible. Click HOTELS to find local hotels offering a reduced Conference rate. There are a limited number of rooms still available.
Don’t delay. This once-in-a-lifetime anniversary will be a week of celebration and serious conversation about the past, the present and most importantly, the future.
And Please Consider Registering To Join Us June 25-29, 2014, In Jackson, MS.
Mississippi Freedom Summer 50th Anniversary Conference
P.O. Box 20770
Jackson, MS 39289
(601) 977-7914 office
(601) 977-6148 fax
Follow Us On:
Facebook: @Mississippi Freedom Summer 50th