Chief Financial Officer
Chief Financial Officer
State University of New York System Administration
The State University of New York (SUNY) System Administration, located in Albany, New York, seeks a Chief Financial Officer who will be responsible for SUNY’s $12 billion annual all-funds budget as well as strategic infrastructure management and operations of the University. The State University of New York is the largest comprehensive public university system in the nation, consisting of more than 462,000 students on 64 campuses, including 29 State-operated campuses, 5 Statutory Colleges, and 30 Community Colleges and three academic medical centers with billions in revenues.
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) provides leadership for all aspects of SUNY’s financial resources. This position is responsible to develop, implement and oversee the financial planning for System Administration and for all of the campuses. The CFO will collaborate and coordinate with the Vice Presidents for Finance and Administration at each of the colleges to establish financial plans and strategies along with sound policies and procedures. The CFO also interfaces with executive staff at System Administration, campus presidents, and with the chairs and members of the Finance and Administration, Audit, and Community Colleges Committees of the Board of Trustees. The CFO also provides Legislative testimony as well as briefing reports to the Executive Office on budget and financial issues.
The CFO has administrative oversight of the offices of University Finance and Budget, University Controller, and Business Operations and Procurement.
At a high management level, the incumbent is responsible for:
- *Developing a financial plan that supports strategic goals;
- *Developing and executing the University’s short- and long-term strategic budgetary and financial planning efforts as it relates to state-appropriated funds and the allocation of such funds to campuses;
- *System-wide management and oversight of all aspects of financial management at the campuses, academic medical centers, and System Administration;
- *Serving as a key advisor to the Chancellor and other senior staff on financial and non-financial strategic issues;
- *Providing financial analysis in support of policy positions, especially in the area of tuition and fees;
- *Oversight of the University’s treasury functions, including cash management, asset accounting, and preparation of financial statements;
- *Development and oversight of the administrative services functions for System Administration, including policy and process;
- *Establishing system-wide procurement policies and procedures;
- *Oversight of the University’s Risk Management function;
- *Conducting legislative bill analysis by providing relevant business and financial information and scenarios;
- *Adherence to and promotion of high standards of ethical conduct, compliance with all applicable laws and regulations and appropriate financial oversight and controls;
- *Presentations to a variety of groups and organizations internal and external to SUNY that may, or may not, have a financial background; and
- *Working closely with the Research Foundation and State University Construction Fund to coordinate the University’s multibillion dollar all-funds budget.
Qualifications: A Master’s degree in Public Administration, Accounting, Business Administration or a related field and minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible financial management experience is preferred. A Certified Public Accountant license is desirable. Strong leadership and management skills coupled with excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential, as is an extensive practical knowledge of Federal laws and New York State laws and regulations, and the State budget process. The ability to manage multiple projects as well as clearly communicate complex financial and legal requirements to a variety of constituencies is essential. Experience in higher education or public sector finance and administration is desirable. Must model behavior that reflects the highest ethical and professional standards, exemplifying best practices in job performance, supervision, and staff development. The ability to lead in a collaborative manner with a wide range of internal and external constituencies as well as excellent interpersonal and team-building capabilities is necessary.
Interested candidates are invited to apply online at www.suny.edu/SUPEmployment. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
State University of New York System Administration is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim status, criminal conviction, or retaliation.
Albany, NY 12222