HS/Associate Scientist 1
Working Title: HS/Associate Scientist 1
Department Pathology Department
Position Summary: This scientist position will play a key role in executing a large state-wide laboratory program funded by the US National institutes of Health. The position entails oversight of project progress in many different areas and procedure review and revision where needed. This position requires collaboration with other laboratory staff to achieve the overall program goals and oversight of student members. In addition the position collaborates with an in-house IT group. Excellent communication skills are required. This position may require interaction with outside facilities when addressing the needs of the project. Must be able to independently develop and implement molecular protocols and procedures. Also must be able to execute protocols to yield equivalent longitudinal results using diagnostics assays under high quality control.
This is a benefits eligible position. The University of New Mexico provides a comprehensive package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and dependent education programs. See the Prospective Employee page for a more complete explanation of UNM benefits.
Quicklink for Posting: https://unmjobs.unm.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=77210
Minimum Qualifications: Master’s degree with no previous work experience required.
Bachelor’s degree with at least 3 years experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
- Experience providing quality control/quality assurance and assay/product development implementation in research, industry or medical diagnostic settings
- Experience in developing or working with a comprehensive, organized tracking systems for large volume data.
- Background in design and execution of molecular techniques is required. Specifically experience is sought related to the extraction or isolation of DNA from clinical samples and amplification and detection of nucleic acids from fixed and fresh samples.
- Expertise in interpreting experimental results and appropriately entering data into existing databases.
- Able to travel to various sites throughout the state of New Mexico to extract archival paraffin embedded tissue blocks from clinical laboratories is required. ie Farmington, Silver City, Roswell, Santa Fe.
Additional requirements for this position: Candidates for this position must be eligible for employment as verified by the US Department of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General (OIG) and the Government Services Administration (GSA); those individuals on the OIG/GSA Exclusion Lists will not be considered for hire. Once hired, periodic checks will be made for eligibility of continued employment.
Albuquerque, NM 87131