Lecturer, Psychology (10-750)
Division of Social Sciences – Psychology
The Psychology Department is committed to creating an inclusive environment, one that is supportive of all individuals, regardless of background, and to nurturing and developing that talent. We are committed to building an excellent and diverse faculty, staff, and student body, and we welcome applicants whose experiences have prepared them to contribute to this commitment.
The Department of Psychology at the University of California, San Diego, is generating an applicant pool of qualified visiting instructors (“Lecturer” title series) to teach courses in the Department of Psychology, on a temporary basis should an opening arise. Applicants will be selected from this pool throughout the academic year (including summer). The number of positions varies from academic term to academic term, depending on the needs of the Psychology Department. Positions typically start at the beginning of an academic quarter, and appointments may be renewable based on need, funding, performance and the Department’s mandate to maintain intellectual diversity.
Appointments for winter quarter are usually reviewed in May and June, for spring quarter are usually reviewed in October and November, for summer session are usually reviewed in December and January and for fall quarter are usually reviewed in February and March.
We are seeking outstanding visiting lecturers who can teach large courses (300 or more students)in the subject areas listed below:
- (Introduction to) Psychology
- General Psychology: Biological Foundations
- General Psychology: Cognitive Foundations
- General Psychology: Behavioral Foundations
- General Psychology: Social Foundations
- General Psychology: Developmental Foundations
- Introduction to Statistics
- Developmental Psychology
- Sensation & Perception
- Principles of Behavior
- Social Psychology
- Cognitive Psychology
- Physiological Psychology
- Eating Disorders
- Social Cognition
- Psychology of Consciousness
- Conceptions of Intelligence
- Behavior Modification
- Psychological Disorders of Childhood
- The Psychology of Human Sexuality
- Illusions and the Brain
- Impulse Control Disorders
We are also seeking outstanding visiting lecturers who can teach small classes (~150 students or fewer) in the subject areas listed below:
- Research Methods
- Introduction to Clinical Psychology
- Clinical Neuropsychology and Assessment
- Sound and Music Perception
In addition to teaching responsibilities, general duties include (but are not limited to) managing Teaching Assistants, holding office hours, assigning grades, advising students, preparing course materials (e.g., syllabus), and maintaining a course website. Those teaching large courses are expected to work with, meet with, and mentor graduate student Teaching Assistants.
Minimum Basic Qualifications
The minimum qualifications required to be considered an applicant for the position include a PhD or equivalent in Psychology or a related field by the start date of service and relevant distinguished teaching experience to a diverse undergraduate student body.
The salary per course will be based on a minimum annual salary of $47,584.00 for six (6) large courses.
Review of applications will begin on May 30, 2014; the posting will remain open for the duration of the year to accommodate upcoming course needs and new applicants.
To be considered, applicants must submit the following documents electronically via https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/apply/JPF00555
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Copy of Transcript (verifying highest degree earned)
- Evidence of Teaching Effectiveness (preferably teaching evaluations)
- Diversity statement summarizing past or potential contributions to diversity (see http://facultyequity.ucsd.edu/Faculty-Applicant-C2D-Info.asp for further information)
- Three references (contact information only)
UC San Diego is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, or religion or other legally protected status.
Copyright ©2013 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
La Jolla, CA 92093