Since 1974, the North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG) has served as the Metropolitan Planning Organization for transportation in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Area and is responsible for developing transportation plans and programs that address the complex needs of the rapidly growing area. The planning area for transportation includes the 12 counties of Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Hood, Hunt, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, and Wise.
The Transportation Department of the North Central Texas Council of Governments is seeking an entry- or mid-level Transportation Planner to assist in the development, maintenance, and implementation of transportation projects and funding contained in the Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) for the Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) region. This position will generally involve technical expertise and public administration to support transportation projects and funding programs. The ideal candidate must be able to provide feedback and offer innovative ideas to help streamline and improve the functionality and efficiency of the team and Department. This posting is for the entry-level Transportation Planner I position. Applicants wishing to be considered for this position should apply online. To be considered for the mid-level Transportation Planner II position or any other NCTCOG position that may currently be open, applicants need to apply online separately for those postings. All submittals should include a cover letter summarizing work experience and suitability for position, as well as a current resume.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Researching project histories and modifications
- Creating and updating modification logs for each TIP project entry as needed
- Providing initial and follow-up analysis to team members and/or regional partners for Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) inquiries
- Responding to TIP inquiries as directed by supervisor
- Assisting in the creation and maintenance of the TIP Database and Revenue and Project Tracking System (RAPTS), including tables, reports and queries
- Assisting in the performance of quality control checks on database inputs
- Assisting in the development of TIP documents (i.e., 2015-2018 TIP)
- Coordinating with the Metropolitan Transportation Plan and Air Quality Conformity on TIP projects
- Assisting in the analysis of projects submitted through Calls for Projects or other funding initiatives
- Drafting routine correspondence
- Assisting with scheduling and organizing regular/cyclical meetings for the team and committees, which includes developing agendas and preparing handouts
- Tracking project changes on a regular basis (i.e., Regional Toll Revenue, Proposition 12, East-West Equity)
- Producing maps, charts, and tables for projects and programs
- Performing analysis on TxDOT and NCTCOG project listings
- Delivering oral presentations to staff and committee members
- Critical-thinking and problem-solving skills
- Detail oriented, highly organized, and ability to multi-task
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment
- Strong collaboration, customer service and interpersonal skills
- Ability to use analytical judgment and decision making in coordination with supervisor
- Proficient in Geographic Information Systems (GIS), specifically ArcGIS Suite
- Proficient in the use of MS Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint
- Ability to write letters, memos, and email correspondence, as well as professional reports
- Ability to coordinate and communicate with other team members and external partners
- Willingness to learn and grow in position
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in analytical, quantitative methods such as public administration, public policy, urban/transportation planning, political science, business administration, engineering or related field
- One year or less of job related experience
Minimum of $39,324.00 annually
NCTCOG is an equal opportunity employer. All candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and national criminal background check in order to receive an employment offer from NCTCOG.
The North Central Texas Council of Governments participates in the federal E-Verify program in order to verify a new employee’s authorization to work in the United States. Applicants must be lawfully authorized to work in the U.S.
Job postings are kept open for a minimum of 10 calendar days and may close anytime thereafter at the discretion of the hiring manager.
For further consideration of this position, please apply directly at:
http://nctcog.silkroad.com/epostings/submit.cfm?fuseaction=app.dspjob&jobid=251&company_id=16153&jobboardid=79NCTCOG offers a very competitive salary and benefit package to include a 12% match on a 401 money market retirement account. We offer 100% tuition reimbursement beginning the first day of employment and also pay 100% of the employee’s premium for health insurance and have generous cost sharing for dependent health coverage.
Arlington , TX 76011